I hesitated about subscribing to Boxycharm. It’s $21/month, which honestly scared me. Aside from Julep, I’m used to subscription boxes that are ~$10/month that rarely include full-size items- but somebody told them they include brushes sometimes, and after seeing some reviews for the March box, I figured it would be worth it for me.
I subscribed on March 17th, doing a 3-month plan for $59. I honestly wasn’t really expecting I’d get the March box, and they don’t list a cut-off date for the current month’s box. In fact, I think if you subscribed on the last day of the month, you’d get that month’s box, but I’m unsure and can’t find many answers on the website. After your first box, I’m unsure when the next box ships, but it seems that after your first box, you are billed on the 3rd of the month- so I may have another box coming out in just a few days!
First impressions: The box itself is roughly the same size as other boxes. Flip-top cardboard box, all black, with black paper packaging “grass.” It looks pretty chic and classy, but that’s because I love black with everything, and it definitely appears to be the theme as the box products are also mostly black, white, and pink.
So, what’s in the box?
- Catherine Malandrino Style de Paris Perfume. This is a 10ml atomizer, which is full-size on the site. Mine has some cosmetic damage to it, but it’s not a big issue (just some white smudging from when the bottle was printed). As soon as you take it out the package, the fragrance is very strong. Having only a bit of perfume experience, I can’t describe the scent myself, but per Boxycharm’s website: base layer of patchouli, mid notes of violet and ocean breeze, top notes of ruby red grapeftui, nashi pear, orange blossom, and gardenia. Knowing that, I think I smell the grapfruit and gardenia, and I can pick up on the ocean breeze. It smells very strong, but I’ve been considering getting more into perfume, so I’m excited for this one. Value: $20
- Makeup Geek Eyeshadows in Cupcake and Shimma Shimma. Boxycharm guarantees all March boxes to have two Makeup Geek Eyeshadows- one matte (mine was cupcake) and one either duochrome or shimmer (for me, Shimma Shimma). Cupcake is a dusty rose color, and Shimma Shimma is a shimmery sand color- a good neutral. No swatches- these are just pans, and I don’t have a place to hold them, so I’m not opening them yet. 1.8 grams each (full size), and they retail at $6 each. Value: $12
- Clark’s Botanicals Anti-Puff Eye Cream. Now, I’m still young and I don’t really “puff.” I only puff under my eyes when I smile, and that puffiness is more related to the scrunching that happens. So, I will honestly probably sell this if I can on ebay (in a couple months when everybody else’s have sold), This is a full size product- 0.5fl oz or 15ml. Value: $87
- Luxie Beauty 512 Small Contour Brush. I’ve been ordering some brushes online lately, trying to build a collection, but I don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on brushes. I am very happy about getting a brush in my box, and I love the colors actually match the brushes I’ve been purchases (I obviously have a thing for pink, silver, white, and black… if you haven’t noticed). Value: $16
- Chella Tantalizing Taupe Eyebrow Pencil. So, those of you who don’t know: I don’t really touch my brows. I pluck them because I am hairy and have a unibrow, but I don’t shape them, I don’t fill them in, etc. I don’t even know how to do any of that stuff… but I’ve been thinking about trying. I was going to get the Anastasia brow pencil during Ulta’s sale… but I didn’t, so now I’m glad I have one! We’ll see if this one works well for me or not. This is a full-size product… looks like the whole box was! Value: $18
Total value: $153 (that’s 7x the box’s price)
Honestly, this was much better than I expected. While most of the value is held up by the eye-cream (which honestly, I only expect to get ~$20 back from resale), everything else holds its own, too. If I were to ignore the brand names and judge value based on type of product and the price point I would normally buy, this box still comes out ahead.
I loved the amount of samples, the type of samples, the size of the samples, the packaging… everything. I’m very excited for my next box!