A bit ago, Tarte did a one-day sale / promotion for Mother’s Day: a build-your-own 7-piece bag for $59, shipped. It was scheduled to get in to me the day after Mother’s Day, but the post office got it to me a bit early (along with my laptop! Yes, I have my laptop again!). Now, I think the idea of this was to build a bag for your momma, but my mom is pretty… anti-makeup. She might put on mascara or use some bareMinerals, but she’s gorgeous without it, and it’s just not really her thing. So I may have just bought it for me instead. Plus, it was birthday month, so I got a free birthday gift along with it!
So here’s everything that came:
- Bag: Blue makeup bag! It actually feels like it’s good quality (not saying Ipsy’s bags aren’t, but, uh, this is better quality than any Ipsy bag I’ve ever gotten)
- Foundation: Double Duty Beauty- Empowered Hybrid Gel in fair-light neutral. It’s the bottom right corner pic. This is their lightest color. Retails at $39.
- Blush: Cheek Stain in Blushing Bride. It’s that thick stick looking thing in the bottom left pic. Retails at $30.
- Mascara: Lights, Cameras, Splashes in black. Retails at $21.
- Lips: Butter Lipstick in Tulip. Pretty obvious it’s the lipstick in the bottom left pic. Retails at $17.
- Eyeliner: Clay Pot Eyeliner in blackened plum. It’s a little difficult to see the color, but its open in that bottom left pic. Retails at $21.
- Brush: Etch & Sketch (clay pot eyeliner brush)- dual ended, with one end being angled. Retails at $15.
- Bonus: Deluxe sample Amazonian Blush in Entertain (free birthday gift, 1/4 the size of full size, so retail value is about $7) + a sample sachet of sunscreen (top right).
For paying $59, this is a good deal (full RV came to $143 for all the products that came with the bag, but not including the bag itself… close to $160 probably for everything). The lips, cheek, and eye products are actually really gorgeous IMO. I took some swatches of them- first pic is in natural light, second is with flash.
Top to bottom, we have:
- Butter Lipstick in Tulip. The packaging was cardboard-ish, which both seems cheap and eco friendly to me- I’m not sure which is most prominent. It glides on very easily, but it took a few coats to get it to really show through. It’s a pretty kinda muted pinky-red. It does contain some shea butter, but it’s not too bad for my sensitivity.
- Cheek Stain in Blushing Bride. This is only my second stick-cream blush (note: first was that Julep stick from yesterday’s post), and it seemed a little… idk? Thick? And you have to push it up from the bottom, but it’s difficult to push it back down if it gets pushed up too far. So packaging wasn’t great IMO, but the color is really, really pretty! It’s a beautiful rosy pink and quite pigmented.
- Clay Pot Eyeliner in Blackened Plum. I’ve been wanting to try potted eyeliners, and I LOVE purple, so I figured this would be a good way to wear some purple. It’s definitely dark, but it’s not as harsh as a black, which is nice. I applied this with the brush, too. The brush felt a little thicker than I was expecting (notice how it’s not a very small line), but it worked pretty well.
- Amazonian Clay Blush in Entertain. This I just used my fingers for. I didn’t choose this one- it just was the free birthday gift. Looks like a dusty peachy-rose color, but I can’t find any info on Tarte’s website about it (the shade isn’t available). Personally, I really like this muted color.
Now, the foundation I was a bit afraid of… It looked so dark in the pot! Anddddd it is, at least it’s darker than I feel comfortable wearing.. I took the liberty of arm-swatching it next to every single full-size foundation I currently have (which ended up being quite a lot). Natural light vs flash, of course!
Now, from top to bottom, swatches are:
- Tarte Double Duty in Fair-Light Neutral
- Revlon Colorstay Whipped in Ivory
- UD Naked Skin in 0.5
- L’oreal True Match Super Blendable in N1
- Mac Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof in NW15 (it’s odd because this one sometimes oxidizes on my arm and sometimes just.. doesn’t)
- Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse in 10 Porcelain Ivory
- Maybelline Fit Me Dewy+Smooth in 115 Ivory
- Maybelline Fit Me Dewy+Smooth in 110 Porcelain
- Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless 112 Natural Ivory
- Rimmel London Lasting Finish in 091 Light Ivory
- Revlon Photoready Airbursh in 001 Ivory (note: darker and orangier than the Whipped in Ivory- looks more on par with Dewy+Smooth Porcelain, honestly)
- Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous in 805 Ivory
To me, the Tarte stuff looks a little too orangey. I might give it a go and see how it performs on my face, but I’m not super optimistic- that Ivory color next to it usually works well on me, and it looks pretty different. But, I’m always up to test it out, and I might tomorrow 🙂
Remember, if you have a wonderful mother or any adult woman role model, give her (or them!) a call today and let them know how much you appreciate them!