Fair warning: because I get influxes of several boxes at a time, I do write out all my unboxing posts and then schedule them for different days. Nobodies what 4 unboxing posts a day and then a week of silence. So, my Beauty Box 5 box ended up coming at the same time as Ipsy (oh, and Lippe Box, which as I previously said, sent me fake products).
The theme for May’s Beauty Box 5 was cute: “MerMayd.” Get it? Mermaid? In May? Yeah, you probably do. As a reminder, BB5 is a $13/month subscription box, but when you sub to 3 months at a time, it’s $10/month, much like Ipsy and Birchbox. It’s currently not tailored to any profile and everybody gets the same (or similar) products. This is my third box.
Talking product now, this was another “eh” box for me. Not because it’s a bad box, but just because the product types aren’t targeted towards me at all.
- Elizabeth Mott You’re So Fine Liquid Liner in Glitterati. I will be honest; I have not opened this yet. The reason being this is full-size, and I currently have two open full-size pen liners and two open full-size liquid liners. I am much better at using a pen than liquid liner, but that said, I should practice my liquid line application. This should be a black, glittery liner, which excites me more than it should. But hey, I’m still 22. I can be excited by glitter. No, scratch that. Anybody can be excited by glitter, especially when it’s in a black liner. The black makes it classy… right? Right. Retail value: 18.
- Glamour Dolls Mermaid Lashes Splash Proof Mascara. Remember how I said I wasn’t super excited for that Smashbox mascara from Ipsy because I have too much mascara as is? Well, same goes for this one. I like that this is a waterproof formula, though- it fits with the theme, but more so, I only have a couple of open tubes of waterproof mascara, and two are so old, I should really toss them. This is going to stay nicely sealed up, aseptic, until I need to replace mine. I’m a bit hesitant on this brand though- the first Glamour Dolls eye product I ever used was a glitter eyeliner (also from this box sub) that irritated my eyes so much, I had to flush them. But, I do appreciate it being a lower-cost mascara, as if I like it, I’d rather spend $5 than $20-$25. Retail value: $4.99
- Appeal Cosmetics Luxurious Lipstick in Crush. This is a pretty coral color, and by that I don’t just mean pretty as in gorgeous but pretty as in “quite so.” As in, this is probably the epitome of coral. The color you think of when you think of coral. It is not a coraly pink. It is not a coraly red or coraly orange. It is coral. Corals usually tend to look a bit strange on my complexion- I used to wear it as a kid because it gave me this “oddly tan” look. I would wear a coral zip-up hoodie and capris in 6th grade. And oh, my favorite soft coral shirt from back then… Enough reminiscing. I understand that this is based on the theme, and I love that it’s another full-size lippie, but I’m so scared to try it on my lips for no other reason other than… what if I look weird in it? But, I’ll try anything once! Retail valye: $29.
- Briogeo Rosarco Milk Reparative Leave-In Spray. Briogeo is a known sub box brand that people go crazy over on Birchbox, but I’ve not gotten to try. I haven’t used this yet (I don’t wash my hair often, and the last time I did, it was with deep color-depositing conditioner on my hair for an hour and a half, so I didn’t need this product). But, I have smelled it and LOVE how it smells, and I LOVE the ingredients. I still have a Davines leave-on spray milk, but I like this one’s scent a LOT more and will probably use it up first. This is a 1 oz deluxe sample. Retail value: $4.08
- Mystic Tan Mocha-Kyssed Bronzer Lotion. My absolute least favorite item because I won’t even use it once, this is… a bronzing lotion? That’s all I can say about it. “Warm, brown undertones” are promised on the tube. Not sure how that’ll play with my skin, even if I wanted to fake-tan. I have no desire to change my natural tone. So, in the “to eventually swap” bin this goes! Retail value: $5.83.
Total retail value: $61.90. Yep, more than Ipsy this month! Granted some items were lower-end, but whatever. Also, my personal value ended up being $22, same as Ipsy, but in all fairness, I under-estimated the liner and mascara as I don’t need the products at all, and gave a low value of a measly $1 to that darn self-tanner (but it didn’t even deserve that…).
What’s that you say? You want a spreadsheet?
Because this was my last month in my 3-month sub, I’ll be posting soon (tomorrow, probably) about all three months and give my thoughts and verdicts on if I’ll continue to subscribe.