I received these cute little sample sachets for these Revlon Ultra HD Matte lip colors and just recently I decided to try them out. I was going to wait until I got tried all 8 of them, but to cut a long story short, I ended up reacting to them and I decided it was not wise to continue wearing them.
Swatches: Sorry for “potato quality” and fuzziness. My phone was NOT cooperating.
The left color is Seduction and the right is Flirtation. Seduction is a dark berry and Flirtation is a pinky coral.
- These smell amazing!! Kind of tropical, like mango smoothies, actually. The darker color smelled really nice, but Flirtation ended up smelling almost a little too strong. I’m not sure if that was just my nose or if it really was a bit stronger. Either way, I really liked it.
- Both colors were decently opaque, but… I did have to apply a second coat to Flirtation. Using a lip brush instead of the doe-foot applicator probably caused this.
- Actually long wearing! I didn’t bother to keep track of the time they wore, but they were kiss-proof! Easily washed off with some oil cleanser, though, so they probably are not hot-wing approved.
- No feathering?! I noticed absolutely 0 feathering or “slipping.”
- Not 100% matte. As in, the look. It’s not glossy or satiny, but it isn’t powdery looking either. They just kind of looked like my normal lips? This is a plus for me, but may be a negative for others.
- Fast dry-down time. I didn’t have to wait an hour or so to have the lip dry down- which I totally appreciate. My experience may be because I used a brush instead of a doe-foot (so less product was applied at a time), but even still!
- Did not make my lips feel dry. When I say something is non-drying, I don’t mean hydrating. This didn’t hydrate my lips really. But they didn’t make my lips feel extra dry or leave me clamoring for more lip balms.
- But it contains shea. Despite loving literally everything about these the first day I wore one, I woke up the next morning with my lips peeling. This doesn’t happen often- only when I use shea produces. I didn’t know these had shea in them until I thought it strange my lips were hydrated but still peeling off.
Now, because I don’t have a life-threatening allergy, I can still use these products. I have one in the shade Devotion and I’m going to keep it because I don’t have another matte liquid lip that same shade. But, I don’t think my lips would like swatches of these on 8 days in a row, plus I don’t want to fall in love with another color and be tempted to buy one. My policy on Shea: I will not use any body or hair care products with it, as it causes itching, but lip products that I already have are fine since I don’t wear them daily. However- no NEW Shea products! So while I will enjoy my free gifted Devotion, that Flirtation shade I was really feeling? Not gonna buy it!