I’m still in the process of “trying new things,” when it comes to my skin care routine. I have so many foil packet serums and small deluxe samples of both western and Asian beauty products, like toners and lotions. Sometimes it gets to feel a little too much, and I get overwhelmed. I stop using any product besides my cleansers (and even then, hardly, as I stop using makeup as well).
For me, writing down what I’m supposed to do helps this. When it’s listed out, I know what I’m doing. I don’t have to think about it, and that makes it better somehow.
So here’s my routine!
- Sukin Sensitive Cleansing Lotion OR Missha Super Aqua Oxygen Micro Visible Deep Cleanser. Which one I use depends upon my skin. If my skin is feeling quite congested, I’ll opt for the deep cleanser, but normally I go for the sensitive cleansing lotion.
- Lily Organic Rose Facial Toner. While I’m not entirely convinced a toner is “necessary” in the same way cleansers, actives, and sunscreens are, I like the idea of having a step to maybe cleanse a little more. I don’t think I need much in the way of pH adjustment (the Missha cleanser has a pH of 5.5, and I can’t determine the cleansing lotion’s pH accurately, but it’s not high), and I’m unsure what is even in this one… but I have a sample and I might as well use it.
- Benzac Blemish Clearing Hydrator. I’ve been using this two ways- one, as an emulsion/lotion, and two, as a BHA “morning active” to help control some of the blackheads and congestion in my t-zone. That said, I’m unsure how well it is working and might do a Science! experiment/post about it.
- Various serums. I post “various” because I have small samples I’m hopefully going to use up here, although I’ll probably stick to just one of these at a time. By the end of the month, I hope to use up:
- Kaplan MD Cellular Rejuvenating Concentrate
- Clinique Smart Custom-Repair Serum
- Vichy Idealia Life Serum
- Rodial Glamoxy Snake Serum
- Lily Organic Balancing Lotion. I’ve seen that you’re supposed to use lotions/emulsions before serums, but I find serums sink in better before my true emulsion step. Unlike the Benzac, this goes all over my face. Why use this one? Because it’s what I have open.
- Gourmet Body Treats Agrimony Eye Cream. While I don’t usually feel the need to use eye care products, if I have it, I’ll use it. So this goes here.
- Mizon Snail Repair Gel Cream. This is the last moisturizing step in my routine. This feels super lightweight on me, which is great for morning time.
- Various sunscreens. This is another “various” product because the sunscreen I use has more to do with the foundation or base products I’ll be using on my face. While my Neutrogena Clear Face SPF 55 is my usual go-to (as it is a water-and-silicone base like most of my base products), I hope to use up various samplers this month too:
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 (probably can get 3 days with this, although that’s being a tad stingy)
- Tarte TarteGaurd 30 (the two foil packets- each one has one application’s worth)
- COOLA SPF30 Cucumber (a deluxe sampler from Birchbox that I will most likely get 6 days’ use out of, even though I have low expectations)
- CeraVe Sunscreen Face Lotion SPF50 (despite being a deluxe sample size that could have 4 uses in it, it contains ceramide and I’m going to test to see if my skin can tolerate the concentration, so I may end up hating this and tossing it after one use)
PM: While my routine at night has some similarities, there are distinct differences.
- Julep Love Your Bare Face Cleansing Oil. This is my favorite cleansing oil! I use it every night, even when I’m “bad” about skin care.
- Sukin Sensitive Cleansing Lotion OR Missha Super Aqua Oxygen Micro Visible Deep Cleanser. See above. It’s most often the cleansing lotion at night, but on the rare occasion that my skin feels totally congested, I’ll use the Missha.
- Lily Organic Rose Facial Toner.
- Garden of Wisdom Lactic Acid Pads. This mostly goes on my t-zone, but I “dot” it (not rub) on my cheeks as well. Transitioning to using this every night has really helped my skin, I think. I always wait 15-20min after applying this.
- Benzac Blemish Clearing Hydrator.
- Lily Organic Balancing Lotion.
- Laneige Water Bank Serum. This serum feels very, very intensely hydrating, so I often do this after my lotions.
- Gourmet Body Treats Agrimony Eye Cream..
- Mizon Snail Repair Gel Cream.
- Laneige Water Sleeping Mask. This is the final night-time step in my routine. It isn’t very thick, but it is very gel-like and leaves my face a bit sticky, which may be the point? I don’t know.
I suppose an 8-10 step routine both morning and night is overwhelming in it’s own right… Even typing all of this up felt like running a marathon. This doesn’t include what I use makeup wise, any body care stuff or oral care steps, and it doesn’t count the various masks and peeling gels I use “when I feel like it, which, by the way, include sheet masks at least once a week (I’ve been trying to do it 2-3x), charcoal masks when my skin feels very congested, and wash-off masks when I don’t want to deal with drippy essences getting into my eyes. It’s safe to say my routine takes time.
What are your routines like? For those of you with an in-depth routine, do you ever feel overwhelmed with steps, or do you revel in them, using your routine as your “me time?” Do you prefer short routines with only a few products or multi-taskers? Let me know!