Even though I do like to regularly practice gratitude, I haven’t done a Thankful Thursday post in a while, and figured there’s no time like the present!
This week, I am thankful for:
- My job. I am not the person who loves work. I don’t hate work either; I just don’t much care to have a job instead of a career. The jobs you take while getting to your career are usually necessary and serve a purpose, but they don’t feel purposeful in the moment. Still, I’m thankful that a) I have a job and can earn money so I contribute to my household, b) my job is in a field that feels more fulfilling than other “stepping stone” jobs, and c) it’s something to do / keeps me busy.
- Mucinex Fast-Max Nighttime. Story time! I’m on orientation at work (today is my last day, actually), and even though I’ll be working D12 shifts (6 AM – 7:45 PM), the employee who is training me works E12 shifts (10 AM – 10:30 PM). I did E12s Thursday through Sunday, but then Tuesday, I had a D4 (6 AM – 10:30 AM) to show me what morning time was like, what those chores are, etc. So, I had to go to bed very early Monday night to get ample sleep (I need ~9 hours, personally). I couldn’t sleep. At all. I had so much congestion in my throat (not chest) that I couldn’t breathe. Boyfriend went out and got me mucinex, the nighttime kind to help make me drowsy, and I finally got to sleep. I was still exhausted, but at least I was able to get up in the morning.
- Really good coupons/sales. I don’t know if the coupon is still available, but Walgreens recently had a $10 off coupon with the purchase of two select Pantene products. These were Pro-V Expert Collection shampoos and conditioners, which online are on sale for $3.89 each, but for some reason the coupon didn’t want to work and only took off $5.99 total, so I decided it wasn’t worth it with shipping costs. I decided to just get them in store while picking up my new rx. They were regularly priced at $5.99, but the coupon worked entirely, so I managed to pick up two conditioners (I go through them sooo fast) for $1.98 ($0.99/each). I know it’s a bit lame, but it’s the little things.
- My local health food store keeping Burt’s Bees Lip Balm in the tin in stock. Boyfriend is a bit picky about his lip balm. He needs some with him at all time, but he only like Burt’s Bees and eos spheres. The problem? The eos spheres contain shea butter, so when he kisses me, I run the risk of flaky lips (yes, it has happened many times). All of the Burt’s Bees tubes I could find? Shea butter. The replacement I got him (off-brand)? He hated it. I began searching for the tins, since they don’t have shea and are Boyfriend’s favorite ever, but couldn’t find any in the drugstores in town… And then I saw the tins in my local health food store. I picked up a couple (one for now, one for when he loses it/runs out) and we are both just ridiculously happy. He has his favorite lip balm again.
- Overtime pay (this week). I don’t know if I’ve talked about my financial goals or not, but one of my goals is to replenish my savings (since being a stay-at-home girlfriend for half a year will make a dent in that). That said, I budget for about 30% of my take-home pay to go back into savings (which is actually more than my rent). I have room for some fun things, but it’s much more stringent than before. This week, I’ll get at least 43 hours, which means 3 hours of OT. No, 3 hours is not a lot- maybe $43 extra- but the point is it’s extra. I can pop it into savings, but I can also use it for a new book, new jeans (thank you, bagels and fried chicken), or indulging in my horrible hobby of “try to find a dupe for this item that I can’t use anymore.” Either way, I’m grateful.
- Jeggings… that actually feel like leggings. I don’t hate jeans, but I don’t find them particularly comfortable either. Yet, work requires me to wear jeans exclusively (well, jeans or khakis, but nobody wears khakis so I feel self conscious). My preferred pant? Leggings. Jeggings are supposedly the great hybrid that look just like jeans but are super comfortable. To me, though, that just isn’t super true. But I do have a cheap pair of jeggings that actually do feel exactly like leggings. I want to buy… at least 3 more pairs 😛
- Free Your Mane hair mask/conditioner. I cannot stop with this stuff. I got it as a gift from my family (I think it was for my birthday, but I’m unsure which one) and have recently opened it up. I cannot rave about this stuff enough. It smells amazing, but it also works. It detangles the nastiest tangles and my hair feels so soft and smooth. I use it every time I shower, although knowing that I can’t find it anywhere anymore, I’m being much less generous with it.
Obviously there are more things to be thankful for this week, but those are the first ones that come to mind. Gratitude is a huge key to happiness, so of course I’d love to hear what you all are thankful for, too! Let me know in the comments!