Even though the points changes came into effect in July, I was able to review my items before the 11th and thus still had the option for 50 more points ($5 in the store). When I saw the featured box had Stila’s Patina liquid lipstick, one I’ve really wanted to try, I figured I could do one more box before cashing out. So let’s get into my final Birchbox unboxing!
Let’s start with the box itself. It’s… interesting? I don’t really know how to describe it. It has a bit of a 90’s vibe with the pastels, a tribal vibe with the pattern, but it’s mostly just some kind of geometric something. I don’t dislike it, but it gives me a headache. It’s definitely not the prettiest box around, IMO. But as we all know, it’s what inside that counts…
Inside the box, we have:
- Acure Coconut + Argan Oil Cleansing Towelettes (12 pk). I did open this up just to smell them, and I have to say- I love how they smell. I have yet to actually use them up, but I’m excited because they smell just like coconut.
- Living Proof No Frizz Nourishing Oil. It’s hard to see because I cleaned it up for the picture, but it had exploded in it’s little box that it came in. It did smell good enough. I think I have enough hair oil and leave-in spray to last me a while, though, but it’ll get used.
- Marcelle BB Cream in Golden Glow. I was mostly excited just to see what this would look like. Turns out, it most likely won’t work out for me, just based on a swatch. I’m debating about how I can make it work, though, and will probably try a few things out just for fun. Like the Living Proof oil, this sample also came exploded. I did contact customer service about both samples and they are sending me an entirely new box, I guess.
- Hum Raw Beauty Green Superfood. Single serving of a “green drink” mix. I usually don’t like this stuff, but this was included as a “bonus,” so oh well. I’ll try it… eventually.
- Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Patina. I was SO SO SO excited for this that I just had to get the curated box just for this lipstick. I didn’t want to risk not getting it in my box (even though other subscribers did get it, too). I love the color from the swatch and I can’t wait to use it! I’m not 100%
- Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle. Funnily enough, I already have this exact sample from my May Birchbox, and I haven’t had the chance to use it yet (I’m almost done with the Davines OI milk from April). It will get used- the question is just when.
As I mentioned- I am getting another box because of the exploded products. I’m not sure if it’ll be the same box or not, and they did say that there might not be enough stock (and they’d get back in touch if that was the case).
In terms of value- I did make a spreadsheet!
Not owning a Stila Stay All Day lipstick, I wasn’t 100% sure about full-size (some sources say 0.08 oz, and some say 0.10 oz). I went with the higher size, because a lower estimate is better IMO. The BB cream and green drink I gave a small value for the opportunity to try it. The green drink will provide nutrition so I factored that in, and the BB cream will provide me with some entertainment attempted to make it workable- so there’s that 🙂 Overall, this was actually a good box with my highest personal value. It doesn’t help that I already knew I’d pay $10 for the lipstick, though.
So this is where I sit with Birchbox. I’ve been with them for 6 months, and I have $32 credit in their store. I haven’t decided what I want to do. I don’t really want to spend $10 on a box I don’t know I’ll love or get the value out of it, especially because next month my budget is tighter (I have rental insurance to pay). Unless the featured box wows me, I’m going to cancel before next month and cash out my points, although I haven’t decided what I want yet. While there is a chance that I’ll get September’s, I’m still considering this my last box, since from now on, I’ll be cancelling/resubbing only if I want the featured box.