This month, I’m hosting the daily MUR challenges on r/makeuprehab. If you are a huge makeup junkie and want to cut back and create a collection that fits you, I strongly recommend you take a look at that subreddit!
Today is the first day October, and thus it’s the start of my hosting! I wanted to start this month off strong- thus, “Strong Start Saturday.” Today is about getting ready for the month. What are your goals? I encourage SMART and WOOP goals! Talk about your budget (if you have one), what products you want to use (or even pan), what looks you want to create, etc!
For those who don’t remember what SMART and WOOP goals are:
- SMART is an acronym that stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely, meaning:
- Your goal should be specific, not ambiguous or vague; something you can measure; something you can actually achieve; something that is congruent with yourself and your future goals, and something that has a time constraint in it.
- WOOP is an acronym that stands for Wish, Outcome, Obstacles, and Plan, meaning:
- Once you have your goal (the wish), you should envision what reaching your goal would look like and how you would feel, identify what stands in your way of reaching your goal, and then set up a battle plan to help you reach your goal.
You can combine SMART and WOOP goals together- your “wish” should be SMART goal! I’ll go through one of my goals and show you how to make it into a SMART and WOOP goal.
Goal: “Keep to a budget.” This is not considered “SMART,” so let’s fix it!
- This is ambiguous because it does not talk about what the budget is for. To be SMART, it has to be specific. In this case, I specifically want to keep to a health and beauty budget.
- This goal is not measurable because I did not specify how much my budget is. My budget this month will be $150.
- Now, let’s evaluate if it is attainable: can I spend less than $150 on health and beauty? I will need to see a doctor this month for my annual physical, but I do believe that $100 or so during the month will be doable.
- Is it relevant? Considering how this is a goal for MUR and it is about makeup related spending, yes it is relevant! It is also relevant to my longer term goals of adding money to my savings both for short-term expenses, like traveling to visit family, and my long-term savings, for things like graduate school or a down payment on a home.
- Now, finally, this goal is not timely. In order to make it timely, I need to specify when the budget starts and when it ends. In this case, the budget begins October 1 and ends October 31.
Once we add in all the changes, my goal, which is now SMART, reads: “Between October 1 and October 31, spend no more than $150 on health and beauty.”
Now, let’s turn this into WOOP:
Wish: Between October 1 and October 31, spend no more than $150 on health and beauty.
Outcome: If I keep to this goal, I will have more money to put into my short-term savings, so I can visit my sisters sometime soon and be able to afford a nice birthday present for my youngest sister. I will also be able to grow my savings account for graduate school. Overall, this will lead to a feeling of achievement and less financial stress.
Obstacles: Many new released and holiday sets will come out which will be a major obstacle for me. I also often get trapped by GWPs and Ulta’s Beauty Breaks.
Plan: Aside from the obvious (just don’t spend that much), I’ll frequent MUR and ask for support and TMOs if I need. I’m also planning on limiting myself to one makeup related purchase per week- which I think will definitely help with the GWPs and Beauty Break! I’ll also be recording all of my expenses, as soon as I can, and before each purchase I will be going through my inventory to make sure I really want the item and it won’t just add to my collection.
I have a few more goals than just this, but I figured going through one is enough for you to get the idea.
Let me know what your goals are for the month in the comments below or on my post on MUR (if you’re a redditor). I’d love to read them!