Ohhh boy, more unboxings! Today, I bring you the newest Sephora Play! box: their April 2017 collection. Like Ipsy’s bag this month, the products in this sub felt a little bit lackluster. The theme of the month appeared to be more about beauty routines- skin care over makeup, I suppose.
While Ipsy is best known for their bag designs, Sephora Play’s little linen bags always bring a smile to my face as well. I love to see what kind of design they include! This month’s is slightly… disappointing. While the artwork is cute and I love the pink ribbon, the quote, “The best things in life are me,” engenders some ambivalent feelings- on one side, I’m all for self-love. On the other, though, this seems a little… over the top? Narcissistic? To me, the best things in life are done in love. So, you know, there’s that.
- Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream. This is a product I actually AM excited about. Whenever I can try a new moisturizing cream that is shea-free, I do get excited. Now, the only thing I’m not excited is that dimethicone is the fourth ingredient; I’ve found that silicone-heavy products give me little white filaments in some of my pores. This will probably be a night-time cream when I get to using it. Deluxe sample, 7.5ml. Retail value: $8.13
- Philosophy Purity Made Simple Face Cleanser. I’d be lying if I said I was excited about a cleanser, but hey, at least it’s practical. This does claim to be pH-balancing, so it’s a face cleanser I’ll actually want to use! Deluxe sample, 30ml. Retail value: $3.67 (based on smallest retail size)
- Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer. This is another product that I’m a little underwhelmed by. Primers, in general, are products I like, but I have several I’m working through. This is a basic silicone-based primer… and one I’ve probably used from foil packets before. Deluxe sample, 7.1ml. Retail value: $8 (based on smallest retail size, which is actually cheaper than full size)
- Make Up For Ever Aqua XL Eye Pencil in M-10. Oh look… a basic black eyeliner pencil! It’s not like I don’t have several products just like this! Oh wait… Sarcasm aside, I guess this is a nice introduction to the formula, as I typically stick with my Julep gel pencils. Again though- it’s very underwhelming. Deluxe sample, 0.5g. Retail value: $8.75 (full size is 1.2g)
- Sephora Collection Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover. I have another sample of this… exactly the same… and now I can’t remember where I got it from. It’s sitting in the drawer by my sink, completely unused. Do you see where I’m getting this feeling of disappointment? I usually use micellar water to remove my eye makeup and typically don’t feel the need for an eye makeup remover aside from that. Deluxe sample, 25ml. Retail value: $3.75 (based on smallest retail size)
- Miu Miu L’eau Bleue. And finally to round up what is a fairly “meh” box: a floral fragrance. With notes of Lily of the Valley, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, and Rose, this isn’t entirely my cup of tea. However, there is a slight hint of something I do like- it is peppery, but it’s not that “make you sneeze” or, for me, “make you gag” kind of pepper- just a bit of masculine spiciness. The base note is described as “akigalawood,” which is a new note to me, and if that’s what I’m detecting faintly, I may have found a new note to look for. That said, I think there’s a reason it’s rated about 3.5 stars. When I opened up the box, everything smelled of this fragrance, and I had to put everything away for a while before I could open it back up again. Small fragrance vial, ~1ml. Retail value: $2.27 (based on 30ml bottle).
Overall thoughts: Five deluxe samples; one fragrance vial. Retail value: $34.87.
While I understand this box’s aesthetic as a whole, I still feel completely underwhelmed. A basic cleanser, a basic waterproof makeup remover, a basic primer, a basic black eyeliner… at least the moisturizer has something in it that makes it somewhat exciting! I think the fragrance fits with the vibe, but it’s still not really my thing. I’m happy that I can use everything in the box, but I’m just not excited for it. Overall, this month just didn’t inspire any joy.