My birthday was already almost two weeks ago?! How did this happen?!
On my actual birthday, I felt conflicted, and I wrote a very serious post about the consequences of a friend’s death 8 years ago. The day after, with sales going on for Ulta and Sephora, I thought, “Its basically still my birthday; I should treat myself.” Turning 23 felt so strange to me- in many ways, I still feel I’m still 17 or even 15… Six years doesn’t sound like a long time, but the difference between 17 and 23 really does! So I figured this year would be a good year to officially celebrate myself, by myself.
Last weekend, I visited my older sister in Milwaukee. We went to several stores (Ulta, Sephora, MANY thrift/vintage stores, and yes, TJ Maxx), and while I didn’t feel the need to get much from Ulta and Sephora, we found many great products at TJ Maxx- some I purchased for myself, and some my sister bought for me as birthday presents.
I know I’m chatty- so let’s get into everything I hauled!
- Too Faced “Cat Eyes.” This was. TJ Maxx find for something like $10? It was quite discounted. I love Too Faced in terms of collecting, and this was one my sister ended up picking up for me! The actual quality is a bit… chalky and without excellent pigmentation, but there is a lot of potential for soft looks that don’t take much effort (read: perfect for work) with this palette.
- Marc Jacob’s Stye Eye-Con 7 in “The Tease 202.” This was another TJ Maxx find, although I purchased this myself. This was $20 at TJM, compared to $59 at Sephora. I’ve been looking at this palette for several months now, so when I saw it for such a steep discount, I had to pick it up. It’s not the best palette (the mattes are a bit powdery, IMO, and the darker shades a bit patchy), but the colors are wonderful, the compact itself feels so sleek, and just… yes.
- Tarte “Make Believe In Yourself” Eye + Cheek Palette. I actually purchased this from Sephora online with my 20% off VIB coupon. Yes, it’s a total glitter bomb, but it’s SO PRETTY, and I love glitter shadows. The highlighter in the middle (Believe) is also a wonderful highlight on fair skin. This definitely screams “festival,” but let’s be real; I’ll use it just as a pick me up on my days off work!
- Viseart Petit Pro. Another Sephora 20% VIB purchase. I already had the Bijoux Royal palette (which I adore), and the idea of a travel-friendly Viseart palette excited me. The colors are quite warm and dark- but I’m thinking it’d be a perfect fall palette. The mattes are a bit hard, but the glitter/shimmer shades are amazing!
- Lorac Pirates of the Caribbean Eye Shadow Palette. I purchased this from Ulta with a 20% anything coupon (plus, you know, 2x birthday points… and 2x Ultamate Rewards MasterCard points). I’m not 100% into the Pirates franchise (as I mentioned in my last FotM unboxing post), but I do like to collect Disney merchandise- and I absolutely LOVE Lorac’s formula and these colors looked very fun and easy to use. Very different from the Alice palette from UD (which was chalky, difficult to use, and came in troublesome packaging… even if it was very beautiful). No regrets here!
- Lorac Pirates of the Caribbean Cheek Palette. Another 20% off Ulta purchase- yes, at the same time as the eye palette! The colors in this palette looked so fair-skinned friendly and yes, fun, that I really wanted to try it! My only concern so far is not being sure if the last color (in the right bottom corner) is supposed to be a very shimmery blush or a darker highlight 😉
The other color products:
In order of swatch appearance, the other items I purchased were:
- Spring Fling Argan Oil Lip Balm. This is a tinted lip balm that is shea-free and was on mega discount ($1.99 I believe) at Ulta. It’s a bit warm, but it’s lovely!
- Nars Matte Lip Pencil in Sex Machine. This was one of those VIB sale purchases from Sephora. I had been considering which Nars lip pencil I wanted to purchase- Cruella, which was on my list for a while, actually came in a lip set I picked up not too long ago, and Sex Machine appeared to be the best spring-type shade for me.
- MUFE Rouge Artist Intense in 43. Before I tell you how much this was- I want you to guess. It was at TJ Maxx…. for $6. SIX. Usually, MUFE lipsticks are around $20! I’ve heard that #43 is called “Moulin Rouge” and is an orange-based red; this one does NOT look like that at all, nor can I find it on sale anywhere online to check what it’s supposed to be… to me, it’s slightly cooler (not super cool, but slightly) and medium-deep. It is very beautiful, suits me very well, and whitens my teeth a tiny bit. GREAT find, IMO.
- NYX Pin-up Pout in Bombshell. I purchased three other shades a while ago, and long story short, one of my colors (Almost Famous) was stolen by a kid at work, hidden in her pants, and used… so it went in the trash. I considered buying the shade again, but with summer approaching, I decided to go for a fun color- a hot pink that’s on the deeper side, so it looks almost red! This one was part of my Ulta order.
- Ofra Long Lasting Liquid Lipstick in “Cape Town.” Ofra’s LLLL formula is one of my favorites, and I have it in a few colors that came in beauty boxes or part of sets- not colors I got to choose. When Ofra came to Ulta, I decided it was time to get another color, one that I carefully picked out myself. I settled on Cape Town because it was a nice plummy/berry color. They call it a cabernet with purple-pin tones. It’s one of my favorite, all-year-round colors!
- Too Faced Melted Metal in Metallic Jelly and Metallic Violet. So these ones… they were also $6 each at TJ Maxx, and I was shocked to find both colors in packaging that wasn’t disgusting and not yet used/swatched. They appear to be on sale because the products themselves appear separated- they’re very light and very greasy feeling, which means I may need to pop the top off and mix them up in the tube.
- Tarte Tarteist Pro Glow Liquid Highlighter in Stunner. I have the Amazonian Clay highlighter in this shade and love it- but I love liquid highlights (especially when paired with a powder on top) and wanted to try this one out. Ordered from Sephora during VIB sale.
- Becca Pressed Shimmering Skin Perfector in Amethyst. I’ve been lusting after this since it was released (I LOVE lavender, violet, and any kind of purple hue on my face). I got it during the Sephora VIB sale, and I couldn’t be happier!
- Origins GinZing Cream Eyeshadow in 16 Blue-tiful Burst. Yes, this is dark and feels quite navy, but I think it’ll be beautiful as a liner. I love using creme pots as liners! TJ Maxx find for about $10.
- NYX Lid Lingerie Eye Tint in Whimsy. Liquid eyeshadows have become a thing recently, but not a thing I’ve tried yet. They are a little intimidating for my level of blending skills. I figured I’d start out with a NYX product, as the brand has a good success rate for me. This color is also super beautiful! This was an Ulta purchase as well.
Finally, the two non-color purchases:
- Real Techniques Eye Brush Starter Set. This was another TJ Maxx find for about $8, which is half off the price from Real Technique’s website. I can never have enough eye brushes, as I hate washing my brushes…
- NYX Honey Dew Me Up Serum & Primer. As somebody with dry skin, I’ve been curious about this serum/primer for a while- so the 20% Ulta sale was the perfect time for me to pick it up.
So there you have it- a massive haul, brought to you by my “Shoot, I’m 23” quarter-life crisis…. I mean… “treat yo’ self” mentality. I will try to get some first impressions, looks, and/or reviews up as I use these products. As always- questions, comments, or concerns are very welcome in my comments section. Let me know what you most want to see featured in my next posts!